Day 1 of Social Media Week NYC 2012 was literally a buzz with engaging keynotes, panels, and networking session, far too many for one person to cover. Therefore, the best SMWNYC attendee strategy, from my experience, is to pick your spots for the in-person show-ups, and cover the rest vis a vie LiveStream feed. Accordingly, I was able to hit three Day 1 sessions, hashtagging and tweeting up a #smwnyc storm along the way. Here are the highlights:
- Managing Social Media on a Global Scale: This first Opening Day session found hosts Syncapse andAmway discussing, debating and sharing their best practices for managing a global social media presence across multiple countries and languages, with multiple stakeholders, distributors and marketers involved. The key takeaway centered around the idea that ”social media fosters horizontal collaboration” within businesses. The speakers affirmed their tremendous support for this idea, and conceded that – while it’s an ideology that can be difficult to embrace at first – in the end is for the better good of the company.
- Keynote: Valerie Buckingham on The Importance of Authenticity followed by Panel: Beyond Borders: Impact of Social Media in a Global Economy: Head of North America Marketing for Nokia Valerie Buckingham kicked off this noon event by focusing on the importance of authentic voice, asserting the idea that what you bring to the social media conversation can be enhanced by examples from around the social sphere. The panel that followed aimed to explore key trends, cultural behaviors and opportunities beyond American borders, especially in light of the accelerated pace of both innovation and appetite for interacting with brands in emerging markets. The key takeaway from this discussion was that – from a marketing perspective – as you move from market to market, you ought to ask yourself one question: do the digital tools you are utilizing tap into the regional social venues of interest? If so, then proceed.
- Social Media Week’s Opening VIP Reception Hosted by Nokia: Crowdcentric, title sponsor Nokia, and SocialVibe hosted this lavishly awesome kick-off, invite-only opening party at the trendy Greenwich Village Country Club. Passed appetizers, complimentary libations from Heineken and Bulldog Gin, and – most importantly – exceptional conversation with engaged thought leaders made this the ideal way to properly kickoff the week.
Greg is a motivated Cornell University Hotel School alumnus, affectionately known as a Hotelie for life, with keen interests in social and digital marketing for hospitality and lifestyle brands. He’s passionate about sales and marketing in the hospitality industry, specifically as it relates to the dynamic online space. In his free time, Greg obsesses over growing his musical intellect (both modern and past-time artists apply), tennis, and running skills. Check out his lifestyle blog covering these topics at http://www.thesocialsonictraveler.wordpress.com and follow him on Twitter.
- Attendee Tips for Planning Your Social Media Week Schedule (thesocialsonictraveler.wordpress.com)
- Social Media Week NYC: Top Trends that will Shape Social in 2012 #SMWJWT #SMWNYC [Summary](othersidegroup.com)
- Social Media Week 2012 (beingyourbrand.wordpress.com)
- Social Media Week launches today (conversations.nokia.com)
- Nokia Sponsors Social Media Week, Hosting Reception Party Feb 13th (thenokiablog.com)
9 thoughts on “SMWNYC Day 1: Global, Authenticity, Party”
Pingback: SMWNYC Day 3: Crowdsourcing, Community, Quizzical « The Social Sonic Traveler
Pingback: SMWNYC Day 3 Recap: Crowdsourcing, Community, Quizzical » New York
Pingback: SMWNYC Day 4: Transmedia, Deadly Sins, Tangible Action « The Social Sonic Traveler
Pingback: SMW Day 5: Connecting, Reimagining, VIP Party « The Social Sonic Traveler
Pingback: SMW Day 5 Recap: Connecting, Reimagining, VIP Party » New York
Pingback: Social Media Week, NYC 2012 Recap « The Social Sonic Traveler
Pingback: SMWNYC Day 3 Recap: Crowdsourcing, Community, Quizzical | Collective Media, LLC
Pingback: SMW Day 5 Recap: Connecting, Reimagining, VIP Party | Collective Media, LLC
Pingback: SMWNYC Day 4: Transmedia, Deadly Sins, Tangible Action | | Collective Media, LLCCollective Media, LLC